Boredom Busters is dedicated to curing ‘the boredom epidemic’ affecting pediatric patients within local hospitals. More …
Boredom Busters provides funding for toys, games, books, and projects which enhance the quality of life of pediatric patients within the hospital environment. More …
Sasha Burakow constantly found ways to give to her community during her extraordinary lifetime. Boredom Busters is dedicated to carrying on Sasha’s legacy of selflessness. More …
We are a 100% volunteer non-profit sustained by donations both large and small. Boredom
Busters is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to carrying on the legacy of Sasha Burakow.
Donate Now! More …
Boredom Busters seeks to cure ‘the boredom epidemic’ at the Boston Medical Center.
- Sasha's life was dedicated to helping others. She spent countless hours volunteering at hospitals, and more specifically, volunteering in the children's wards. She would be honored to know her name is associated with Boredom Busters. Becoming a part of Boredom Busters brings joy to children who need it the most. I can guarantee with each gift that is delivered to a patient, that child has gained not only a smile, but a guardian angel in Sasha.
- Since it's inception at BMC in January 2010, Boredom Busters has made it possible for hundreds of children and their siblings to receive crayons the minute they step into a pediatric treatment area. Boredom Busters has not only improved the hospital experience for our patients, but has also allowed me to continue providing the highest caliber of child life support possible. Our team is grateful every day for the support of Boredom Busters, and it's incredible donors.
Boston Medical Center
In January 2010, Boredom Busters partnered with the Boston Medical Center. The Boredom Busters program aims to bring the joy of play and distraction to each pediatric patient that visits the BMC. Through the annual Fun-Raising Fund-Raiser and other donations, Boredom Busters is able to provide the BMC’s Child Life Specialists with funding to purchase toys and prizes available to each pediatric patient. In addition to supplementing the Child Life Specialists’ budget, Boredom Busters is always seeking new ways to reduce the effects of the ‘boredom epidemic’ on pediatric patients through creative contributions and small capital projects. Boredom Busters stands firmly behind the BMC’s mission to provide “exceptional care, without exception” to each and every patient.
» Boredom Busters on Dirty Water TV
Boredom Busters has been active on the Duke University campus since January 2004. Immediately following the loss of freshman Sasha Burakow on December 17, 2003, sophomores Dave Krauss and Charlie Benzyk approached Duke’s Development Office about setting up “The Sasha Burakow Touched By An Angel Memorial Fund”. Through a 6-week award winning fundraising effort, led by the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity, Sasha’s friends and family were able to raise over $20,000 to permanently fund the Boredom Busters program at Duke University Medical Center. Today, with assets of over $40,000, Sasha’s legacy of caring for young patients at Duke’s hospital will carry on for perpetuity.
» Read More
Boredom Busters has been striving to cure the ‘boredom epidemic’ affecting pediatric patients in local hospitals since 2003. Originally established in Fairfax, Virginia by then 11-year-old patient Michael McCauley and his dedicated family, after he successfully underwent surgery for a brain tumor. Michael wanted to make the support that helped get him through this experience available to others and the Boredom Busters concept was born. Boredom Busters originally manufactured ‘Boredom Busters Boxes’. These boxes, filled with games and comfort items, were distributed to young patients spending long hours in hospital beds and waiting rooms. The McCauley’s have continued their inspirational philanthropic efforts to this day having donated thousands of boxes to hospitals from Washington, DC to New York City.
When you donate to Boredom Busters, your generous support goes directly towards our core mission: to eradicate the boredom epidemic affecting pediatric inpatients with the aim of improving their in-hospital quality of life. In short, every dollar that you can spare will have a direct impact on the life of a child who is going through one of the toughest experiences of their lives. Some of our programs include:
- providing EVERY SINGLE pediatric patient with a pack of crayons and bubbles to help ease the initial shock of the hospital environment
- painting each pediatric emergency room like a different popular children’s book
- capital projects aimed at revitalizing common spaces within the hospital that have either been neglected or underfunded and are in need of some TLC
The Purple Party is back! Boredom Busters will be turning Bleacher Bar many different shades of purple on Friday, March 7th. We hope you will dig through your wardrobe to find your favorite purple outfit, dress, costume, accessory or spandex jumpsuit. Either way, as long as you are wearing something purple, you will fit right in!
You can expect plenty of appetizers, some good tunes, and the Fun Fotobooth as we get together to support Boredom Busters efforts to improve the quality of life of pediatric patients at the Boston Medical Center.
We look forward to seeing you there!
NOTE: We encourage everyone to stick around with us after 10pm when the Bleacher Bar DJ will take over the entertainment for the night.
BOREDOM BUSTERS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
BOREDOM BUSTERS BOARD